Friday, March 10, 2006

Perfectly Imperfect

The glass is not perfect, the stones are not perfect, the tung nut oiled red cedar base is not perfect, the copper wire is not perfect... and that's just perfect!

For more information on this piece, or to buy it, CLICK here.



I hope my post yesterday didn't leave the impression that I think all art must be perfect~ certainly not! No, I only meant to focus on the finishing details that are sometimes not given enough consideration.

The imperfections are the fingerprint of the artist, the soul of the piece. Recently I have noticed a lot of stuff being shipped in and sold cheap that pretends to be 'artistic.' I assume some business guy(s) thought this would be a smart way to make some bucks, and maybe they are right. But I just find it depressing.

What I imagine is that they bought nice things at craft fairs or galleries, and figured out how to mass produce these using machines, or more likely underpaid labor. In so doing, they did away with all the little imperfections, with the artistic fingerprint, and the copies are completely soulless. A rating of zero on the life meter. They have no voice. They are worse than most of the cheap stuff, because they pretend to be something they are not. They try to say: "Look, I'm a crafty thing" but they most certainly are not. They are just more massed produced cheap junk. No fingerprint.

So three cheers for the artistic fingerprint!

No comments:

Post a Comment